Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Young Love

This is a conversation I overheard in my classroom today. Names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Johnny (incredulous) : "Bobby, is it TRUE?!"
Bobby (with a smirk): "Yeah, why, you jealous?"
Johnny: "No--well, yeah, a little. When did you talk to her?"
Bobby: "Yesterday after school."

I was handing out papers, and I was so surprised by the shock in Johnny's voice that I looked to see what Bobby was doing. In his hands was a little homemade book. His initials were on the front alongside the initials of a little girl in my class. When I glanced her way, she had OBVIOUSLY overheard the boys' conversation, because she was gazing at Bobby with big dreamy eyes, and she was definitely blushing.

Apparently, love is in the air. They stood next to each other in line all day, and strategically positioned themselves so that they could sit together in music class. I also noted that Mr. Casanova had come to school in a collared shirt and snooty suit jacket, and he kept strutting around with that hilarious little smirk on his face.

I was flabbergasted. Boyfriends and girlfriends? IN SECOND GRADE?

2 comments:

bec said...

I remember helping out with a 5th grade class and it came up that one of the boys was pretty proud because he had 2 girlfriends in the class. They were both standing right there, smiling. They explained that they both liked him so they decided they would just share. They must have done really well in preschool.

Megan and Kenny said...

Cute. Aiden had a girlfriend in 1st grade. He would wear red, because that was her favorite color.