Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Bella Italia: Firenze

Installment #2:

Florence.

We arrived by train, and then hauled our luggage to the Convent of the Suore Oblate.

Just outside the convent's door spray-painted in big letters were the words "I love you." I'd like to know the story that went along with THAT...

Imagine our surprise when we got up to the convent and realized that the Sister at the desk spoke neither English OR Italian. She spoke French.... So we mimed our way through the conversation.

Once again, my room had awesome windows.

Then we went looking for dinner, and we found this.


The next morning we started things out by inspecting the city's street markets: produce, meat (including chicken heads, tripe, tongue, and sheep testicles), scarves, leather belts, t-shirts, etc.
Don't worry. Russ is NOT eating sheep testicles. I believe that is an apple tart.

Then off to our appointments at the Uffizi Gallery and the Academy. We saw incredible paintings (Botticelli's Birth of Venus and Primavera, Rembrandt's Self-Portraits, etc.), and very long hallways filled with crumbly-nosed statue heads. At the Academy, we saw incredible sculptures, including (of course) the David. Now, I know this is going to sound stupid, but all I could think of when I saw him was, "Wow, you are a big guy." The statue is WAY taller than I expected it to be! But I can certainly understand why the statue is world-famous.

After the Academy, we sat on some steps to eat lunch.

As you can see, we had taken to hauling around very large bottles of liquid, because it was less expensive than buying a small drink each time we got thirsty.

This is the crazy otter/man statue in the middle of the square.
While we were sitting there, lots of people came by asking for money. I did not give them money, but I did give away our dessert. I'm not sure Russ was thrilled when I volunteered his candy bar.

Everywhere we went, we walked past this:
Il Duomo

This is what it looked like on the inside!

That evening, we crossed the river on the oldest bridge in Florence. The bridge is lined with goldsmith shops, and the Medici Palace is on the other side of the river.
We got back on the train the following morning, and headed off toward the Cinque Terra...




2 comments:

kel said...

Star, I looove looking at these pictures. Especially Il Duomo. Can't wait for the next Italy installment.

Megan and Kenny said...

Still jealous. I probably would have been secretly annoyed if you gave my cany bar away. but i tend to feel I need to have a little bit of chocolate after every meal. Even if it's just a handful of m&ms.